26.8.08

We Make Christmas Fair * Dainty Pretty Things

It's going to be my first fair and it's going to be grand!!
The "We Make Christmas" fair will be held in London, on the 6th of December.
The Craft fair is taking place at the The American Church, 79A Tottenham Court Road, London.
You'll find a great variety of handmade items!
I know it's only August, but time goes by really fast and in the meanwhile you can meet the sellers you'll find at the fair and start your Santa Letter."
See you there!

Today's Seller: Dainty Pretty Things


1. Your name and location?
Mary Mcdermott, Dagenham, Essex

2. Shop/Brand name?
Etsy Dainty Pretty Things and
Folksy Dainty Pretty Things

3.What's the story behind this name?
I was sitting down with my sister trying to come up with a name. We through about all kinds of suggestions but none of them I liked or felt right. Eventually my sister said well in a few words what kind of jewellery do you make. Which my reply was ‘well dainty pretty things really’. To which we both said together Dainty Pretty Things.

4. When did you start crafting?
I’ve always been making things since a child. Then all through my school years I always enjoyed subjects like Art, Design and Technology far more than any other subject. Then for my GCSE final project I made a door curtain out of all kinds of metal work, wire flowers, anodised aluminium discs, copper and brass shapes. This was the main point where I really enjoyed working with metal. I achieved an A* for my subject and even had officials from the borough wanting to come to my school to see my work. I then automatically made my decision to study Design and Technolgy and Art as my two A Level subjects. One of my tutors used to be a jeweller before she was a teacher so I got introduced to all kinds of jewellery techniques. So from then onwards Jewellery has been my passion.


5. Do you have a special place to craft?
I would love to have my own workshop. But I really love working at home. I work best when I’m in a quiet, relaxed atmosphere so what best than being at home.

6. What's your favorite craft supplies shop?
Its got to be the supply shops in Hatton Garden, the heart of London’s jewellery making. My favorite shop is Bellore, they have beautiful gemstones and unusual silver components.

7. Your favorite piece?
My favorite piece is not a piece I would ever sell. It was a piece made for my City and Guilds exam. I love it and to me it represents the work and new skills learnt while making it. So really no amount of money could replace that for me.


8. What are your expectations for the "We Make Christmas" fair?
As one of the organizers I’m expecting it to be fantastic. Lots of great sellers, lots of people browsing and buying. Making it another great We Make event.

9. Have you started to worked for the fair yet?
I already have some stock. But over the next few months I will be making things especially for the fair. Trying out some new ideas.

10. Leave us a little appetizer for the "We Make Christmas" Fair...
I will be bringing everything from my etsy shop and lots of new pieces too. Here are a few

No comments: